Search This Blog

Monday, January 24, 2011

Sick, Sad World



Well, it happened. Being exposed to too many adults who don't know how to cover their mouths when they cough (SERIOUSLY) has caught up to me. I have a slightly sore throat, and I'm hoping that it doesn't get any worse. I'll be spending the day drinking gallons of hot tea and eating applesauce with fruit. I generally frown upon over the counter medicines because I think they're pointless and a big waste of money. I'd rather follow Hippocrates' advice of Let food be thy medicine, thy medicine shall be thy food. Of course, a balanced, plant-based diet is generally a good safeguard against illnesses, but apparently it's not enough when you're within close proximities of people who won't cough into their sleeves for days at a time. (Is it SO HARD, people? Really?) Yeah, I'm a little bitter. I've never been good at being sick, even slightly, like now.

I guess this down time will give me a better opportunity to scour the new cookbooks I picked up from the library last week. Anyone have any recipe recommendations from the following books?

Okay, Feasting on Asphalt is not quite a cookbook, and though there are recipes in it, they're not quite vegan-friendly. I just have a big foodie-nerdy-crush on Alton Brown. Plus, this book is about him on the road, which makes it double awesome for me.

Here's hoping I'll bounce back soon (as in, TOMORROW).

4 comments:

  1. Hope you get better soon!

    I've also heard that eating carob will help as an ati-viral benefit, so maybe try eating some of that if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got to try the chocolate cake with chocolate frosting from Skinny Bitch in the Kitch. It's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I hope you feel better soon! It is a downer to realize that you get sick because you catch some germs from someone else who is sick. Yuck. I read skinny bitch but I have not cooked recipes from any of those books - looking forward to what you find, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing that in the 21st century people still don't know basic rules of hygiene. I hate being sick! Get well soon.

    ReplyDelete