Search This Blog

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Busy Vegan Bee Product Review: Amy's Gluten-Free, Vegan Mac & Cheese

I've been a busy bee, folks, and while that is certainly not something to complain about (I love being busy), it does make it harder for me to eat decent meals. I semi-shamefully admit that I have been relying on small, overpriced frozen meals to get through my busiest days. Hey, no one is perfect. Meanwhile, these frozen meals serve as great blogging fodder! On those busiest of days when I actually have a spare 2 minutes to take pictures and think about my food, you can expect reviews! First up: Amy's Rice Macaroni and Dairy-Free Cheeze.


Here it is in frozen block form.

And here it is after the application of microwave heat and lasers.

Stir it up and consume!

The rice macaroni is tender. I highly doubt anyone would notice that this is gluten-free. The cheeze sauce is thick and creamy and delicious, thanks to the power of Daiya. However, a few bites in, I nearly choked when I looked at the nutritional facts.

HOLY NO-COW!!! 22 grams of fat?! 520 calories, 190 of which are from fat?! Amy's, I love my curves and all, but COME ON!

But is this delicious? Yes! Would I buy it again? That's a big, fat NO. I can think of more and better things to eat that STILL wouldn't add up to 22 grams of fat.

2 comments:

  1. I hear you......I've seen a lot of frozen vegan entrees that are REALLY high in both fat and calories and therefore I don't buy them. I don't know why they feel they have to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looove that stuff. And you're right; it's crazy caloric. I love to feed a container to my kid who is skinny. Otherwise, we usually share one entree between us as a "side."

    ReplyDelete