Search This Blog

Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Last of the Summerfest Grub

Oy -- I didn't mean to take a week and a half off from blogging. Life happens, man! I always share fun nuggets of... fun... on the Hungry Vegan Traveler Facebook page. If you don't already "like" it, then by all means, go do that right now. I'll wait.

...


Great! Now I'm going to pick up where I left off, which was recapping Vegetarian Summerfest, which I attended for this first time this year. As I mentioned, food was in no short supply. I've had many people ask me about the food, and my answer is more or less always the same: On average, there were two items at each meal that I absolutely loved, and the rest was "meh." That's pretty good, considering this was a buffet with enough food to feed over 700 people, and despite the fact that they had badass vegan chefs creating the menu and overseeing the kitchen, the people actually making the food were your average industrial kitchen crew. In fact, at meals, my friends and I would occasionally chat up some of the kitchen staff and ask what they thought of the food. Every single one of them that I talked to had NO IDEA what they were cooking or serving! And many of them needed some reassurance and coaxing to try the food, too.

Try it, you might like it!

But let's get to the food pics.

One day at lunch (or was it dinner? It's all a gluttonous blur), they had a potato bar, which was pretty awesome. The chive-sour cream was wiped out quick, so I utilized this really awesome peanut sauce. It went well with the rainbow slaw, too. A good peanut sauce pretty much goes with everything.

This dinner plate is holding quite a variety. At 10:00, you see kale salad with guacamole, to the right of that are two AMAZING raw nachos (wish there were more of those!), followed by some sloppy carrot cake, with a slab of tofu topped with tomatoes, spinach, and Daiya.


And then there was more dessert: a fruity chocolate cake on top of Temptation cookie dough ice cream. I was so excited to see Temptation! I used to be able to buy that in Kansas City.

And that's it for the meals of Vegetarian Summerfest 2012! I'm not sure if I mentioned this already, but I didn't make it to a single breakfast (they only served it from 7:30-8:30am and I am NOT a morning person). Amber and I stockpiled snacks and fruit in our room, but it's not like we were EVER hungry enough to eat any of it.

Coming up next: the PEOPLE of VS!

4 comments:

  1. That carrot cake looks AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your posts have convinced me to make Summerfest next year with my kiddos. Do you think there were many kids around? Do you have any thoughts regarding that? And I agree, that's way too early for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny!

      YES, there are plenty of kids at Summerfest! There's an entire children's program just for them. The kids in the program did a cute little performance at the last plenary of VS and it was adorable! Older children are welcome to attend the workshops, as well.

      Delete