Search This Blog

Friday, August 13, 2010

HVT @ Home: A Cool Breakfast & A Mostly-Cool Dinner

This might just be the hottest midwest summer I have ever experienced.

You know of an awesome breakfast for hot summer days? I do: it's peanut butter banana soft serve.



frozen banana chunks (from 1 banana) + a little splash of almond milk + about 1/2 a tablespoon of PB + some food processor action = a heavenly cool way to start the day.

My main man and I briefly considered grilling for dinner tonight, but it's pretty darn hot outside. Instead, I laid zucchini and red pepper slices, along with some chickpeas, on a baking sheet, tossed with a little olive oil, sea salt, and garlic powder, and stuck it all in the broiler for 5 minutes. Stir/toss/flip, and back in for 5 more minutes. We ate this on a bed of Romaine lettuce and spinach, along with slices of local cucumber (from the farmers market) and diced heirloom tomato (courtesy of a neighbor).



The pepper slices had some nice little char marks, and roasted chickpeas are so darn good. It's almost like popcorn, but without all the gunk getting stuck in your teeth.


I dressed my salad with Annie's Naturals roasted red pepper salad dressing (possibly my favorite dressing) and some Vegan Parmesan.

The high for tomorrow: 101. Keep cool, readers.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, it is freaskishly hot here...PB-banana soft serve is on my menu this week too!

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both look delicious and simply. And therefore I'm stealing them. The recipes I mean. I'm not coming to your house and stealing food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The PB/Banana soft serve looks yummy! I love zucchini too so I bet that dinner dish was amazing! Good job girl! ;)

    ReplyDelete