Search This Blog

Friday, August 27, 2010

My Map Thus Far


visited 24 states (48%)
Create your own visited map of The United States

I've been told that I have strange criteria for what I count as "visiting a state." If I counted every state I simply drove through or every state where I just sat in an airport, waiting to connect to another flight, then I would have several more states filled in here. For me, I don't consider a state "visited" by me unless I was able to spend considerable time there outside of a car or airplane, and could create a memory for that place.

Some random memories:
Virginia: I stayed there for a few days when I attended the March for Women's Lives in Washington, DC back in 2004.
New York: a too-short visit to NYC back in 2005 (still eager to go back), a short stop in Buffalo, meandering around the Lake George area, and Niagara Falls.
Utah: Bryce Canyon, Arches National Park, and Zion National Park. Beautiful, beautiful places.
South Dakota: two words: CORN PALACE.
Kansas: Lawrence is certainly the gem of Kansas, but if you're willing to make a very boring drive, you can also visit the World's Largest Ball of Twine.
Iowa: Des Moines, the largest cement garden gnome in Ames, and a covered bridge in Madison County.

What does your map look like? What is your criteria for counting a state as "visited?" What are some of your random memories for certain states?

If I had a map of countries I've visited, I would only have Canada and Jamaica filled in. I look forward to the day when I have many, many countries visited.

7 comments:

  1. I can't wait to travel the world too, Amanda. That day will come - sooner then I hope! I'd have to agree with you in terms of your criteria. Places visited must mean places enjoyed. Last time I checked, sitting in an airport usually isn't that enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You haven't been to California!?
    Get your cute little tush over here missy!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarahfae, it is sad but true. And San Francisco is #1 on my Destinations Dream List. (Are you near there?) I have a friend in Oakland that I hope-hope-hope I can visit next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where are you from?
    I like your map, I may fill one out.
    If you ever make it to Kentucky or Indiana, let me know. There are a few things to eat here :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you; running through an airport does not count as "visiting."

    I would add that in addition to the twine ball, you can see the creepiest fields of windmills EVER out in mid to Western Kansas! :P

    Amber Shea

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aura, I currently live near Kansas City, Missouri. Before that, I lived in Florida, and before that I lived in Connecticut. I'll definitely contact you when I know I'll be in IN or KY!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know this is an old post but never heard anyone else besides me give a definition of what constituted a visit :) I live just outside of KC too and my definition is spending the night and seeing something of significance. So driving thru and airports don't count but renting a cabin for a night and seeing the biggest ball of twine might count :)

    ReplyDelete