Search This Blog

Saturday, January 8, 2011

All Aboard the Tofu X-Press!

Back in November, the fine folks with Tofu X-Press sent me one of their fancy tofu torture devices to review for Vegan MoFo, which was awesome of them and I was very excited to try it out! But then I moved 1,400 miles away and the Tofu X-Press sat in a box until earlier this week, when I finally busted it out for some tofu squeezin'!
Pre-Squeezin'


This spring-loaded contraption gradually squeezes the water out of the tofu. One hour is enough time, but the tofu can stay in the X-Press as long as overnight, which is exactly what I did.

This felt kind of like a fun, elementary school science project. I was pretty excited to see the results in the morning!

Now, I pulled the contraption out of the fridge around 7am, and I was kind of rushed/impatient, so the Tofu X-Press is a little foggy in the pictures. Here are the better of the shots.

Extreme close-up!

Impressive, right? The best part of this process is that it involves NO PAPER TOWELS. The Tofu X-Press is quite friendly to the environment.

The only tricky part, for me, was getting the lid off post-squeezin'. Luckily, my roommate was home and she was able to pop it off for me. I guess I just have weak hands, I don't know. Hopefully I'll either get the hang of it, or the lid will just come off easier in time.

I used the squeezed tofu to make a super-fast Tofu Scramble. There are no pictures of it, as it was 7am and I was already quite impressed that I remembered to take pictures of the Tofu X-Press in the first place, but it's not like you've never seen my tofu scrambles before.

I'm already looking forward to using the Tofu X-Press more in the future, so you can look forward to more reviews!

Do you have a Tofu X-Press? Do you totally love it?

5 comments:

  1. I have a tofu xpress! I'm not totally sold on it but I think I will be once I put (thawed) frozen tofu in. Plus, it saves towels and requires zero balancing skills, which is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got one for xmas this year, but haven't used it yet. That's really neat that they sent you one to review! I never used paper towels (I used linen tea towels), but I do know what Lauren is talking about with the balancing act of books and other weighty things atop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I press everything for hours and hours. Then freeze the tofu and press it again! I can't stop! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm loving mine that i got for christmas. i like to use it on thawed frozen spinach, too -- no more squeezing the water out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of these has been on my list for a while. I've been on the fence about getting another gadget, but it does sound great! Typically I just drain mine in a clean tea towel.

    ReplyDelete