Search This Blog

Friday, September 24, 2010

PNW Trip: Day 13 - W-W-W-Wall Drug!

Here we are. The last of the recaps.

And because I have such an affinity for cheesy roadside attractions, what better way to end my recaps than with our trip to Wall Drug in Wall, South Dakota!

(Not to be confused with Butt Drugs.)


Anyway, L took more of the sillier photos on his camera, so here are just a few that I snapped.



L partakes in some of the free ice water in rear. (I sort of made another Butt Drugs reference. I can't help myself.)

Aged, rough-around-the-edges dummies were quite a sight.

Some of them even sing! (I was more amused by the non-singing prairie dog.)

Wall Drug has everything! Why, you can even go diggin' for gold! Hu-hyuck!

Just watch out for the T-Rex.

While L had a *moment* with his malt, I sipped an old fashioned black berry soda and wrote out some postcards.


Wall Drug was a nice break from the doldrums of the highway. It was especially entertaining to watch all the elderly visitors posing for silly (and sometimes, SASSY) pictures!

I spent the rest of our daylight hours with my nose in this book.

I had seen the movie a couple of times and always wanted to know more. When I got a copy of the book, I was surprised at how thin it is and worried that it wouldn't tell me much more than the movie did. Well, it's never quite the WHOLE picture (but when is it?), but the extra details were really interesting and made the story that much more mysterious and amazing.

And really, that's it for the day. We stopped at a crappy restaurant in Sioux Falls, then stopped in Council Bluffs so L could indulge in more cheap Mexican food, and then we headed straight home. We were so ready to be out of the car, and while I wasn't ecstatic to be back home (post-vacation blues are so real for me), it did feel kind of nice to collapse onto my own bed.

Thank you for reading my vacation recaps. I hope you enjoyed reading them as much as I enjoyed doing the traveling. Now, it's back to reality!

4 comments:

  1. Man, that T-Rex is so corny; I love it! My family loves traveling to see cheesy roadside attractions. We have a blog,“Go BIG or Go Home,” which chronicles what happens when our small-town family visits the “world’s largest”…whatever! http://GoBIGorGoHomeblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Traci! I am such a fan of your mission and your blog! I love "world's largest" things! If you go back to part two of my visit to Iowa, you'll see "The World's Largest Concrete Garden Gnome." Since living in the midwest, I've also visited the world's largest ball of stamps (Nebraska) and the world's largest ball of twine (Kansas). I don't have those pictures on the blog, but maybe I'll post them later for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Post-vacay depression SUCKS!
    Now, you'll just have to get busy planning your next trip :]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amber, I am ALWAYS thinking about my next journey! Are you traveling anywhere soon?

    ReplyDelete