Search This Blog

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Recipe Request: Hoisin & Black Bean Stir-Fry



As requested, here is the recipe for the Hoisin & Black Bean Stir-Fry from New Vegetarian Cuisine by Linda Rosenweig. My notes are in parentheses.

Ingredients
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
1 Tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
1 Tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1 Tablespoon sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional, in my opinion)
1 Tablespoon peanut oil
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh ginger (I've never actually included this, personally)
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups thinly sliced carrots (if you have 'em)
1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable stock
1 green pepper, cut into strips (or any other color bell pepper)
1 yellow squash, thinly sliced (I don't think I've ever had this on hand whenever I've made this dish)
1 cup snow peas (I tend to use broccoli instead because I love broccoli)
1 1/2 cups canned black beans, rinsed and drained (I use 1 can)
1/2 cup sliced water chestnuts (again, I never have this on hand)
3 cups hot cooked rice (brown is best!)

1. In a small bowl, combine the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, and pepper flakes; set aside.

2. In a wok or large no-stick frying pain over medium-high heat, warm the peanut oil. Add the ginger and garlic; stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the carrots; stir-fry for 3-4 minutes, or until just tender.

3. Pour in stock; cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the liquid has evaporated.

4. Add the green peppers, squash, and snow peas; stir-fry 4-5 minutes, or until just tender. Stir in the beans, water chestnuts, and hoisin sauce mixture; stir-fry for 2 minutes, or until heated through. Serve over the rice.

HVT Notes: This is infinitely better with tofu. Seriously. Fry it first until it's a golden brown and set aside, or put it in the pan first and once the tofu pieces are browned on one side, flip, and proceed with the recipe. I never make this dish without tofu.

2 comments:

  1. Oh yeah, I would agree that that needs tofu. Tofu & black beans don't get to hang out nearly often enough. I love me a good hoisinny stir fry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made this tonight for dinner! Great sauce recipe! Thanks for putting it up!

    ReplyDelete