Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles: Day 1 of My Wild Weekend Up North


Whew! What a weekend I just had! My cousin got married in Connecticut last Saturday, and since my +1 lives in NYC, I went ahead and added a little extra adventure to the trip by rompin' about NYC with my friend before and after the wedding. It was a crazy-busy weekend, but SO MUCH FUN!

I flew direct from Tampa to Laguardia. It's been so long since I've flown direct that when the self-service kiosk only spat out one boarding pass, I stood there for a moment, wondering where the other one was.

When I landed in Laguardia, I stood in a long line for the ladies' room (poor planning, Delta, closing the other restroom), then stood in the long taxi line, where many yellow chariots awaited us.


When my friend came home from work, we took a short walk to the health food market in her neighborhood in Queens for some quick grubbage. We both grabbed a few things from the bar.

At Elizabeth's insistence, I also picked up one of their "peanut butter cups," which is a taste of heaven in a plastic shot glass.
This was a thick, RICH peanut butter mousse with a delicious, nutty-crunchy topping. I could have eaten a bucket of this. But that would be ridiculous.

Soon we were on the subway to the Museum of Modern Art, which is free on Friday nights! Woo! Bargain traveling!

The MOMA is HUGE and awesome and there is so much to see. It was also a little difficult to navigate, not just because of the massive crowds, but because there didn't seem to be a whole lot of rhyme nor reason to the exhibits. Still, there were some fun photo opps and I was pleasantly surprised to see some giant Monets and Picassos and Van Goghs.





After a couple of hours, we took to the streets to see some NYC landmarks. I really wanted to swing by 30 Rock in the hopes that I'd run into my personal hero, Liz Lemon. I mean, TINA FEY, but on a Friday night, I knew that wasn't likely. Still, I sang the 30 Rock theme song as we spotted some of the landmarks from the show's opening.






All of that art and walking made us hungry, so we attempted to eat at a Blockhead's, but they were packed, and when we finally sat at a table, it was next to a PAINFULLY loud group of people. No sense in grimacing through nachos, so we left and went to Curly's on a recommendation.

What a cute little diner! Very small, very cozy. This is the kind of place I'd like to run someday. Still craving nachos since talking about them on the way to Blockhead's, I ordered Curly's tostada salad, which was enormous!

Crisp romaine lettuce, black beans, avocado, shredded Daiya cheese, mushrooms, and grilled red pepper and yellow squash and zucchini. I loved the ranchy dressing that came with it.

Elizabeth ordered the po'boy sandwich and a side of gravy fries.


You can read her review of her meal HERE.

We started walking toward Union Square, but then the rain came down. Since we had a big day ahead, we hopped on the subway and headed back to her place to try and rest up.

Stay tuned for Day 2 of my wild weekend, featuring WEDDING EATS!

1 comment:

  1. My husband loooves the gravy fries at Curly's. I think we also had the crab cakes last time we were there.

    ReplyDelete